PRIDA, Puerto Rican Institute for the Development of the Arts, is an organization dedicated to the preservation and promotion of Puerto Rican artists and the arts.
- PRIDA is a project of Comite Noviembre (more about CN below) and fulfills CN’s charge to promote, acknowledge, create awareness and take ownership of our rich culture, language and history.
- PRIDA will advocate that funding for the arts includes and is distributed to the artists and organizations in our community.
- PRIDA will develop a database of funders that offer our members opportunities to apply for funding that will support the realization of their projects.
- PRIDA will establish a working relationship with government and corporate sponsors and pair them up with our member organizations. Likewise, we will pair the individual member artists with the member organizations and sponsors.
- PRIDA supports Puerto Rican artists by establishing a membership program that will advocate, empower and service the member organizations and artists. Some of the goals of the membership program are:
− To open up markets for the sale of art by Puerto Rican artists
− Develop a database of galleries and art spaces
− Inform members about upcoming events and venues that welcome their participation as vendors through our newsletter, website and social networking resources
− Inform the community in general about events that preserve, promote and protect our arts and culture
− Sponsor events to showcase and promote Puerto Rican arts and culture
− Provide opportunities for our members to conduct workshops and other special events
− Provide our members with workshops that provide unique hands-on training and critical educational skills necessary for their professional advancement.
If you are a Puerto Rican artist or organization and want to join the movement to promote, preserve and protect Puerto Rican arts and culture then become a member of PRIDA today! (Membership Application)
Comité Noviembre’s mission is to commemorate and acknowledge all aspects of Puerto Rican life from the social and cultural to the educational, economic and political. The charge of CN is to create an awareness of the rich culture, language and heritage of the Puerto Rican community and to acknowledge its numerous contributions to this state and nation.
Established in 1987, Comité Noviembre, CN, is a non-profit organization created to:
• Commemorate and pay tribute to the contributions Puerto Ricans have made to this nation.
• Promote, acknowledge, create awareness and take ownership of our rich culture, language, and history.
• Create open forums to discuss critical issues affecting the Puerto Rican community specifically in the areas of education, youth leadership development, health, politics and civic involvement.
• Institutionalize November as Puerto Rican Heritage Month throughout the nation.
CN is the only collaboration of its kind in the United States that bring together the collective talents and resources of eleven of the oldest and most prestigious Puerto Rican organizations:
• ASPIRA of New York
• El Centro de Estudios Puertorriqueños
• El Museo del Barrio
• Eugenio María de Hostos Community College
• Institute for the Puerto Rican/Hispanic Elderly
• La Fundación Nacional para la Cultura Popular – Puerto Rico
• LatinoJustice – PRLDEF
• National Institute for Latino Policy
• National Congress for Puerto Rican Rights – Justice Committee
• Puerto Rico Federal Affairs Administration
• Musica de Camara
• La Casa de la Herencia Cultural Puertorriqueña, Inc.
The combined network and outreach potential of these organizations is over 700,000 people through its member lists and internet capabilities.